Stock Pitch: Gildan Activewear (GIL:NYSE)

I randomly came across Gildan Activewear a few weeks back, and it indeed wasn't interesting. Who might be interested in an apparel manufacturer with a few brands and white labeling their products? You know what, they also literally sell plain white t-shirts to several corporations around the world. However, I also think I gravitated a lot toward "interesting" businesses; how smart of me. We consider conventional businesses dull and perceive them as dying and falling toward the latter phases of a typical corporate cycle. I am still trying to change my approach to investing and my way of looking at businesses in general, but I am still trying to demarcate clearly between newer industries. It's essential to understand the conventional companies and something like Gildan, which has stood the test of time to some extent and has been making gradual progress. 

There are certainly a bunch of pros and cons to the business, but it's an investable business due to its effective vertical integration and optimization techniques and how the company balances its reinvestment and return on capital. The current share is priced at $26.5, and the value of Gildan is closer to $40, in my opinion. You can see the stock pitch attached below and see if it's worth it. Again, it may be pretty bad, and you might disagree with the thesis, but why not?


Gildan Activewear Stock Pitch 



Comments